- 4 large yellow onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 stick of butter
- 2-3 tablespoons of gluten free flour (Depending on your desired thickness. We used GF Jules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour.)
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons of dry sherry
- 32 ounces of vegetable stock (We used Kitchen Basics (affiliate link).)
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 pinch of salt
- French baguettes (We used Gifted Breads Baguettes.)
- Provolone or Gruyere cheese
In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and coat in the butter. The goal is to caramelize the onions and not burn them. This can take some time and patience (45 minutes to an hour). Make sure you stir occasionally. Next add a pinch of kosher salt and add the dry wine and dry sherry. Bring to a boil. Add the flour to thicken. Then add the vegetable broth. Add the sprigs of thyme and simmer for ten minutes or so. Remove the thyme sprigs.
Preheat the oven to broil. Next place oven safe bowls on a baking sheet. Ladle the soup into the bowls. Then slice the baguette and layer them on top of the soup. Add your cheese on top of the bread. Broil in the oven for few minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on it. Cheese should be melted and browned. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.